Sunday, February 12, 2012

Valentines Bunting

So yesterday in preparation for a valentines tea that I am co-hosting, I made this cute little bunting!!! I couldn't really find a tutorial for one so I just made up my own. (looking at pictures first , of course) I got kinda lazy and didn't take pictures of every step. But I hope to make another one soon!!! (and cross your fingers that i actually take pictures of that one)

What You Will Need....

Main Fabric (red)
(i got mine at a thrift not sure what it is but it is of a heavier weight. It was only $1.99 for 6 or so yards.)
Patterned Fabric (pink rose)
( i have this fabric forever!!! i got in kindergarden i think to make a quilt. It started out as a fat quarter and i made a few quilt squares from so you don't really need much!)
Thread (in pink and red)
Double fold quilt binding
Cutting mat, rotary cutter, pins, ruler, and scissors...







ignore the ric rac i didn't end up using it in this project.
*click read more to...ya know read more*

 So for the bunting template I just googled flag template (or something to that effect) and i found this one at lilblueboo. I just enlarged it to fill normal printer paper. (you can make it any size you want it doesn't really matter) 
 So that is where i kind of stopped taking pictures...But what i did was. Cut out 14 triangles (2 for each) on 3 of them i wanted a heart so i did the reverse applique like sweet-verbena did on her t-shirt. I skipped the fusible interfacing part (uh why, because i'm a little lazy and didn't think i actually had it. Turns out i do:) but i would recommend doing it. My machine was kind of acting up so the stitching didn't turn out perfect on my first heart. It kind of bubbled and so i just embroidered a running stitch around. I actually liked it better with the pink thread so yup it worked. After you finish your 3 heart tops. Sew together with right sides facing only along the edges. Do this with the blank/plain ones too. Inside them out and iron (make sure that point is all the way out!)  Next i took my quilt binding and since i did and odd number took my middle flag and put it smack dab in the middle. And pinned it down across the top. (put your fag in between the two layers) I spaced mine 5 inches apart and used the full 3 yards. After I had finished pinning i just sewed a strait stich down the middle. And across each end so it would not fray.  
 It turned out Sew Cute...I absolutely love it!!! 
 As you can see i still need to trim a few strands on it. Oh well two days to do that:)


Happy Early Valentines!!!!!
Johanna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...